Thursday, January 5, 2012

More Rules


I also have health and fitness goals for 2012. I’ve kind of let myself go for almost two years now. So the new rules are:

  • Lose 18 lbs.
  • Run more regularly
  • Run 8 minute miles
  • Do yoga more often
  • Strengthen my back muscles
  • Do 50 pushups

I gained most of the weight just since my grandson was born last spring. I am so in love with him, that I take every chance I can to be with him, even if it means missing a run or a workout. I had planned to do two trail races last fall, but then I broke my arm in August when I tripped on a tree root while on a training run – another excuse (albeit a good one) not to exercise. Once the arm healed, I had a few more pounds on my frame. The month of December saw our office loaded with chocolate that I couldn’t resist. When I weighed myself last week and saw that I weighed almost 150, I had enough.

As for the running, I used to be fairly fast. Fast enough to qualify for Boston 3 times. I want to get my speed back and get even faster. My ultimate goal has always been to run a marathon in under four hours, so I’m planning to do a lot of treadmill speed work. There is a woman in my running group who is a couple of years older than me and she consistently runs 8 minute miles in her marathons – amazing. I told myself, she’s not much different from me – just more dedicated. If she can do it, so can I.

When I was at the gym yesterday (yes, I got up early and went before work. Yay, me), I did some stretches at the end, and couldn’t believe how stiff I was. I must do something about that, so tomorrow, I take a yoga class.

I have had a weak back for over 15 years. From time to time, my back will start to hurt, and nothing helps except lots of Tiger Balm and the strongest Tylenol I can get my hands on. In the past year, since I have let myself go, the back pains are coming more and more frequently. I want to be able to pick my grandson up without hurting myself, so I’m going to incorporate more back strengthening exercises into my routine.

I used to be able to do over 30 pushups, but like anything else, use it or lose it. Aiming for 50 pushups might be a stretch, but I just need to get down on the floor and get at them.

If I can accomplish all of these things this year, I will be extremely happy, and I know I can do it. I just need to stay motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment