Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The 6 P's


I watched a movie on Sunday, and one of the characters said “Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.” I’ve never heard that phrase before, but I love it. I’m going to be repeating it to myself a lot.

I had last weekend all planned out, or so I thought. Here’s how it went.

Friday
I planned to go to the gym after work, do a run on the treadmill and take a yoga class. About 2:00 pm, my daughter called me at work.

Daughter: “What are you doing after work?”
Me: “Going to the gym.”
D: “Oh, I thought you might want to come to my place for dinner.”
M: “Okay, I can go to the gym another day.”
D: “I don’t want to upset your routine.”
M: “No problem, I can go to the gym anytime. But can we go for a run before dinner?”
D: “Sure, it’s my day to run, anyway.”

So, Friday’s plan went out the window, but I still got my run in, and got to spend time with my daughter and sweet little grandson.

Saturday
I planned to start my run later and meet up with my running buddies in the park. We would then run back together and have a coffee before going home. I started my run at 9:00 am, and about 2 miles out, I met another friend who I haven’t seen in about 6 months. He was running the opposite direction, so we stopped and chatted for a couple of minutes. Then, who comes along, but my running buddies on their way back. I got teased a little bit about the “long” run I did.

I planned to go to the gym in the afternoon, do a little workout and sit in the hot tub. After that, I planned to start working on organizing my craft room. When I got back from my run, I told my husband, “After you leave for work, I’m going to the gym.” He said, “I have today off.” Now, the mister works almost every Saturday, but for some unknown reason, his company has given them two Saturdays off in a row. Okay, change of plans. I asked him, “Will you help me in my craft room?” He agreed, so no gym on Saturday, but we did make a lot of headway in the craft room.

Sunday
I planned to go for a short run first thing in the morning and then go to my daughters to babysit my sweet little grandson so that my daughter and son-in-law could paint their basement. That went mostly to plan; however, SLG’s other grandmother also came over, so he had two grandma’s doting on him. I kind of wanted to take him for a walk, but that didn’t pan out.

Then Monday came along
I planned to get up early and go to the gym. That didn’t pan out, either. I was exhausted from all that playing on Sunday. Now, I have run every day so far this year, so I’m on a bit of a streak. I really wanted to get at least a short run in. I lay in bed making bargains with myself. “If you stay in bed, you can run on your lunch hour.” I don’t like running on my lunch hour, so I dragged myself out of bed, and went for a run.

Today
I did my hill workout as planned with my running group. Things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment