Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 - The Rules


The bottom line is, I want to retire, but I have never been a saver. If I see something I want, I buy it. I have a fairly well paying job, so the money has always been there to bankroll my spending habits. The mister thinks we can’t afford to retire, so, I’m starting a twelve month experiment to prove I can live on less. Here are the rules I have come up with so far. I may add more as I think of them, and as the year progresses, but this is a pretty good start. This is not meant to make me feel deprived in any way. I am going to have fun with it.

  • Save money
    • $50.00 spending money per month
  • No new clothing – shop only at thrift stores
    • Exceptions are:
      • Intimate apparel
      • Socks
      • Footwear
  • No yarn purchases unless new baby comes into the world that needs a hand knit sweater
  • The gym – use it or lose it – right now my company pays for my membership, but if I’m not going to the gym, then I can’t justify paying for it after I retire
  • Save money on household expenses
    • Not sure how I’m going to do that yet, as we already conserve energy by lowering the thermostat, hanging clothes to dry, etc. In the last five years, we have purchased all new energy efficient appliances (with the exception of the dishwasher)

No comments:

Post a Comment